Watch out for the thorns - they're fond of clothing as well as my notes.. If I update something, you'll know about it.

My Photo
Name:

I'm an artist, a writer and chief cook and bottlewasher for a two-person household. My patience for stupid is extremely limited.

Sunday, April 04, 2004

The concensus is that my nitrite (Nitrates are down to something like acceptible levels..) problem is due to the old gravel and rocks I'm using. Mind, this is the gravel and rocks from the tank that moved with us from Springhill rd - where we had wellwater.
City water, which is what we're currently working with, is loaded with crap... which is what took out the last aquarium. Algae, practically overnight.
Anyway, the current theory is that the old rocks and gravel leached the nitrites and the nitrate into the new water.. *grumble*
Live and learn. Mom bought a whole bunch of new rock, and I got some too. She got a lot of pink quartz, and a chunk of sliced agate.
Should be nice, once she finds herself some gravel..

There's been some serious discussion of fish. Once I get the water sorted out, I want some micro cats (Corydorus habrosus, if you are curious..) some Ember tetras (Red and gold! Tiny, very pretty..) and maybe some freshwater angelfish.. (Not to mention the glass cats, pencil fish and one or two other things that are NOT coming to mind right now..) The major problem with stuff like freshwater angels and glass cats - they get to be big. Angels get to be about four inches, and glass cats get to be about six inches long. So that might get mildly exciting.... but they're so PRETTYyyy.. .

Oh! For Lutra, and the great Fish debate.. I've been asked to recommend killifish. This for example, is a bluefin killie. (Subtle! Moreso than most..)
You can keep killies in a gallon bowl - and of course, there are innumerable killli-clubs.
I’m not a killi-person myself - I prefer other types, but I said I’d pass it on... ^_~

Webpage. No beans. You can see for yourself, where most of my time and energy has been going... and no, I haven’t finished Lady Martyne yet. :P

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home