Watch out for the thorns - they're fond of clothing as well as my notes.. If I update something, you'll know about it.

My Photo
Name:

I'm an artist, a writer and chief cook and bottlewasher for a two-person household. My patience for stupid is extremely limited.

Saturday, March 12, 2005

It's a Dog's Life and other sundry details.

Or it will be, come June - Mom's been hunting feverishly for afghan hound puppies and finally found one. She's got Ladd into it too, the dogs and the agility and all of it.

This would be a lot cooler if Andi and I weren't forced to stay here. Which we are at least until he finds a job or I get pizzed off and hit Mcburger up. ('Ello, welcome to Burger Sling, how may I poison you today?) .. yes, we can just see me doing that. ^^

Anyway.
For anyone who doesn't know what an Afghan hound is - they're sighthounds. Oversized cats with attitude and more coat than any critter ought by rights to have. (They look /really/ good when they run though, and they love to run.) People claim they can't be trained - Mom's proven that one wrong before.

... *sigh* I want to be happy about this. I really do.
I just wish there was some way they could wait until Andi and I are /out/ - 'cause there really isn't space.

Anyway. Dinner. I forgot yesterday, but yesterday wasn't what you'd call inspiring - pizza for dinner and something vaguely resembling a cheese rollup for lunch (Take one tortilla, sprinkle grated cheddar on it and dump a little salsa in. Roll up, throw in microwave for 30 seconds.) And of course, lots of tea.
Oh, there was a blood orange as a snack - I wasn't impressed with the orange, though. Very blah. Aren't these things supposed to be sweet?

Dinner tonight wasn't much better - a toasted sandwich raided from the 'local' Quizno's. We like Quizno's - we also like Pogy's. ^^
This particular sandwich was chicken with tomato and lettuce with mayo and (Apparently), ground pepper. Yum. ^^
Lunch was more cheese-and-tortillas - this actually got modified from baked 'quesadillas' - except that I /hate/ having to turn the oven on everytime I decide I want some. So I figured out how to make them without doing that.

Di'jon chicken - assembled from memory:
Bread crumbs (We use the heels of whatever bread we buy - tends to be a lot of wheat and extra sour rye bread. Makes for fine crumbs, ymmv.)
Parmesan, grated. I'd imagine one can substitute just about any kind of hard cheese for this.
Pepper (To taste - I grind it in fresh.)
Thyme. (I've been known to sub Bouquet Garni in for this..)

I also add a teaspoon of Old Bay and ... an estimated teaspoon of granulated garlic.
Mix all this together in a suitable dish - it's your breading.

Now - what you use to stick that to the chicken. Take about three tablespoons of Dijon mustard and three tablespoons (or less - I've found more di'jon to mayo is pretty effective .. of course, I ran out of mayo last time, so I didn't have a choice...) of mayonnaise. Blend the two together and get your chicken.

Your oven should be preheating while you're doing all this - set it at 375 (F - sorry, don't know Celcius) and let it do it's thing. If you're spoiled like me, you can turn the convection fan on too.

The recipe calls for about 4 lumps of breast meat - that's about right, but I usually devide them into smaller pieces (In half, usually.. as much to accomodate my dipping containers as anything else - you don't have to do this.) and whack them a little to make them a little more even.
Dip them in the mustard/mayo, shake off the excess, then cover with crumbs and lay on a rack. I usually use something like a cooling rack set on an old cookie sheet - works just fine.
I should note, I wear latex gloves to do this - it's /messy/.

Once you have all your pieces breaded and laid out, stick them in the oven and set a timer for 40 to 45 minutes. Check the pieces when they come out to be sure they're cooked.

The recipe I used suggests making a batch of biscuits to go with - I have done this, and it is good - particularly if you have a spare oven to shove the biscuits into so they come out at the same time as the chicken. (this also is good with rice or potatoes done in whatever fashion appeals to you..)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home