Watch out for the thorns - they're fond of clothing as well as my notes.. If I update something, you'll know about it.

My Photo
Name:

I'm an artist, a writer and chief cook and bottlewasher for a two-person household. My patience for stupid is extremely limited.

Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Ahhh... Another day, another week gone by.

I think.

As it turned out, we didn't need to go into Portland after all - the need for that was removed with a simple phone call and some more notarized copies going into the mail.
Glad? Oh, hell yes. 'course, we /still/ ain't heard from the INS ... *sigh*

On the other hand, I got my passport - wasn't expecting that to show up so soon...

And, I got my bike back from the repair shop, with new gearing cable, a new seat and the brakes gone over. (I'm debating going on the hunt for a new set of brake cables - the ones on that bike have been on it ever since I got it - and I've had that bike ... /well/ over ten years. Hm. Probably better get some new brake cables.)
I also got them to replace the handle-bar wraps - which means no more hard pink plastic! Yay! (I object to pink - it's a nice enough colour, in soft, pale shades - but /bright/ pink is enough to make me wanna puke.) Now it's black cork, which is both softer and less hard on the paws. Ah, and I've got a rack for it now.

That don't leave much. Bike lock (key, not combo - last combo lock I had literally rusted shut, and had to be /cut/ off.. >.<), light system (I /really/ want a dynamo/battery combo - do they /make/ such a system? Not that I've found.. yet.), some bungie cords and new rear reflector and some reflector-tape. Oh. Tool kit, tube repairs, and probably a new set of tires and tubes. That's the 'Need' list. The 'want' list includes frills like a bell, fenders (front /and/ rear - I'm not into getting mud up my arse..) maybe even a new set of pedals. Well, I said /frills/, didn't I?
Actually, the ultimate frill would be to repaint the frame - just take the whole thing apart and paint it black. Then slap some reflector tape on some of the parts to make it harder to miss. With lights and reflectors on the front, back and wheels - not to mention on /me/ - I should be /really/ hard to miss at night.
.... um. Well, in theory, if I'm hard to miss, I /might/ not get /hit/ by some automotoring dingbat with a cell phone implanted in hir ear, a hamburger in hir free hand and hir coffee in hir other hand.. (uses gender neutral term to indicate the chances of being hit by either gender being about equal these days..)
Until I get some of that stuff, I ain't ridin' at night if I can help it. But I /will/ be able to bike over to the bank during the day, no problem. And with the rack on the back, in theory I can do nifty things like pick up odd groceries. ^^

Yes. I'm planning ahead, on the theory that there may be a time when a spare car is /not/ available. Actually, that would be fine - cars are ruddy expensive to own and maintain.... although, after the article in the Oregonian about the guy who converted his Jetta to run on vegetable oil... maybe the fuel issue wouldn't be a big deal to get around..... which still leaves insurance, maintainance, license and anything else I forgot...
Ah, hell. Got to find a bicycle-safety thing, to get my hand signals sorted out. S'always something.......

... Need to read the bloody Eberron book again - there's a National Game Day coming up, and they're running one near enough that Andi and I can get to it! Eeee!
Roleplaying in person is totally different from online - you don't have as much time to /think/ about what you're doing, so it's a lot more off the cuff and unpredictable.
Heck, last time I got to do it, the group wound up helping to sort out a modron issue, and we found ourselves filling out (actually, the paladin in the group found himself filling out) a number of umpteen page forms. When we /finally/ got done, some wiseass suggested something that would have required /more/ form filling - and my character whacked him over the head with her pack. We all thought that was pretty funny - including he who was whopped - and it went on from there. That was fun. I /live/ for gaming moments like that one.

Yes. I'm still finding time to draw. And scan. There're be an update soon. I think.
'course, I'm way the hell behind again ... ^.~

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home