Watch out for the thorns - they're fond of clothing as well as my notes.. If I update something, you'll know about it.

My Photo
Name:

I'm an artist, a writer and chief cook and bottlewasher for a two-person household. My patience for stupid is extremely limited.

Sunday, December 04, 2005

Of emergencies and damn lucky cats...

You know that 'one in a million' chance that everyone talks about? We had one of those today, practically first thing in the morning.
So, there I am, reading the paper, when I realised that Omen had been going 'round and round the laundry hamper in an increasingly frantic fashion for entirely too long. I watched him for a second, then got up and went to investigate.
It took maybe another half-second for me to realise he had gotten himself tangled into the handle of the hamper and his thrashing around had twisted said handle tight around his neck.
I panicked in a constructive fashion and grabbed the nearest pair of scissors to cut him loose. By then, he'd gone limp and I panicked yet further and did something like Rescue Breathing on a cat. Basically, I blew in his nose.
That revived him and he bounced around the apartment briefly before going and hiding under the bed. There was a very brief discussion of 'now what'? before I went after him and realised he was breathing 'wet'.
We batted options around briefly, then sorted out a vet who could look at him on a Sunday (thank the gods for Emergency Vet clinics..) and a way to get there. Bus would take too long, so the Andi went to get something to pay the man with and I called a cab, stuffed Omen into a crate and off we went.
The vets looked him over, weighed him (nine pounds /exactly/) and stabbed him with a needle for the purpose of clearing the liquid in his lungs. Otherwise, he is pronounced 'fine' and so we brought him home via the bus. All in all, about two, three hours of AAAaaack! that I could have done without.
Who needs adventure?! I have cats! O.o

However, we now have a recommendation for a vet clinic on Barbur (I knew he was there, I just didn't know how /good/ he is) and an idea of what Omen now weighs.

... Now we have to go shopping, as we do on Sundays. Gaaahh...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home