Watch out for the thorns - they're fond of clothing as well as my notes.. If I update something, you'll know about it.

My Photo
Name:

I'm an artist, a writer and chief cook and bottlewasher for a two-person household. My patience for stupid is extremely limited.

Sunday, December 11, 2005

Of holiday baking and suchlike...

*/sigh/* Okay. Next time, omit the water. It worked a hell of a lot better without the water.
Granted, this is a recipe I haven't used in a year or so and the cookies are great. But they're /fragile/ and they /stick/! Parchment paper ... and omit the water for the next batch.
Oatmeal cookies. Made half a batch without raisins (I don't mind oatmeal cookies with raisins, although I prefer my raisins raw), and half a batch with. I'm going to box them up in a pretty tin, stuff the tin in a box and send the whole shebang to my other uncle. I love to do nice things for my family. ^^

The most recent pie is excellent - the combination of braeburn and fuji apples was a hit and I clearly used enough cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves to make the filling do what it ought. I suppose it's possible that letting it sit for a couple of days after mixing it also helped. ^.~
The crust was excellent - it's crunchy on top, flakes into layers (which makes it a bitch to cut, but the texture is worth it) and is soft and subtley sweet inside. Yum! Time to do another batch of pastry, methinks. ^.~ It can sit in the 'fridge until the pie-pan is free again. ^^

Lemme think. What else? Ah - school. I'm signed up, more or less, for next term - got two credits shy of a full load and I'm going to go brow-beat them into letting me into Math 20 (I tested into Math 10, but damnit, I know wtf to do with whole numbers!). I /can/ add, subtract and multiply - it's anything beyond that where I have issues (not that I see much point in spending money to relearn stuff I forgot two years ago, but no one asked me if I wanted to waste money relearning stuff I never used!) and anything beyond that that I never /have/ used after I passed the test with enough flying colours to get my GED.
Anyway. Finals for my last two classes are this week - I'm not fussed much about Comp Basics. Only Writing has me in a fluster.
... damnit. This teacher has managed to take something I actually enjoy doing most of the time, and turn it into a chore. A chore I dread. How did she do this? She took our final project and had us write an argumentative essay on a subject that we would get into groups and choose. Most of said subjects being heavily political, contraversial and downright /difficult/. I don't mind that aspect. That might have been fun, with the right subject. But do I get that subject? No. My group (with hesitant agreement on my part - at the time, I didn't think it would be that hard to write on) decides to write on medical marijuana.
I happen to think this should be legalised (hell, there are more potent drugs out there), but posing this in a fashion that makes sense? And finding sources that back me up? Good luck. I finally dragged my husband, who's a native German, into it and he tracked down a bunch of sources and translated them for me so that I would have something other than the mostly biased American sources that I and the teacher could find.
I am /not/ looking forward to the final part of this - we're supposed to do a group presentation on our final essays and I am supposed to talk a little bit about my take and then conclude our spiel. I am not looking forward to that. Not at all; and not just because I really don't like talking in front of people, even after a couple of years of light acting in church plays.
I'll manage, I guess. But I figure I'll be lucky to get by with a pass in that class. :/

*sigh* Okay. Gotta go see if the cookies are cool enough to pack up...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home