Watch out for the thorns - they're fond of clothing as well as my notes.. If I update something, you'll know about it.

My Photo
Name:

I'm an artist, a writer and chief cook and bottlewasher for a two-person household. My patience for stupid is extremely limited.

Friday, July 20, 2007

Of books and spoilers

Okay, I admit it, I caved. My copy of the last HP book is on route to me via Amazon (if it isn't on my doorstep by tomorrow, I get it free - dunno what to hope for). I may post a scathing opinion of it, after I'm done reading it.

If I do, don't be surprised if I get specific. If you're reading it, and you haven't read the book, then don't go whining to me about spoilers - it's not like I haven't gone and warned you.

I honestly don't expect much. The last couple of books seem to be Ms. Rowl!ng trying to top herself, and that is not impressive to me. The last one I /enjoyed/ was OotP, and mostly for the deserved comeuppance that was gifted to Prof. Umbridge. If ANYONE deserves to be practically stomped to death by centaurs, it was her.
I know someone will die. It might be Harry, it might not. Surely, if he lives, he will Pay in Blood for his success. Probably Fred's, or Hermione's, if it comes to that.
Character I have most sympathy for? Snape. That poor bastard, he's stuck in the middle with so few options.... I don't know whether to hope he survives or not.
Butbutbut! Oh, shut up. The last book slapped a geas on him, for shits' sake! What the hell was he supposed to do, anyway?
And anyway, I'm not predisposed to hate the man /just/ because Harry does. Sweet, innocent little Harry ... Gods. No, sorry. This poor kid has had his life turned over, upside down, inside out and backwards, yes. He's been screwed from the start. Cry me a river, kiddies - there are people in the real world who've suffered worse (and no, I ain't one of 'em).

So, tomorrow I'll read the book, whenever it gets here, and we'll see if Ms. Rowl!ng has completely screwed herself. There's a rumour going around that she's gonna write more in this reality. To that I say, Bully for you - but for the love of the Gods, woman, don't let them pressure you into publishing! Write the next stories for yourself, the way the best authors do. If you /want/ to publish them, then do it. But if you don't, if you'd rather keep them to yourself, hold them close in your heart, then do it. Don't let anyone guilt-trip you into sharing, if that's not what you want.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home