Watch out for the thorns - they're fond of clothing as well as my notes.. If I update something, you'll know about it.

My Photo
Name:

I'm an artist, a writer and chief cook and bottlewasher for a two-person household. My patience for stupid is extremely limited.

Sunday, May 09, 2004

*sighs*
Well, depending on which source you are looking at, mollies are either /really/ easy to keep, or /really/ complex.
They do well in marine environments, they also do well in freshwater, with a minimum of a teaspoon of marine salts per gallon added to the water. They /do/ like hard water - which is good - because that's what I have.
They're live-bearers, which means that you have to have an outlet for all the babies... although they aren't as bad as guppies in that respect. They're also hardier than guppies.
However, they get /big/ - so I want I guess a maximum of three, if I'm going to get any silver lyre-tail mollies. *mutter* I'm gonna wind up with a mob of mollies... oh well. The pet-stores'll take whatever survives my lack of interest in retaining babies.. (Which is to say, whatever survives their parents eating them..)
We'll see - the betta-spawning isn't going too well at the moment. Not having been told about the tendancy of betta males to 'forget' about their nests if you turn the lights off (well, heck, they do this in the wild all the time - and it gets dark at night, eh?), I ... turned the tank-light off when I found it on at night.
Oops. (Actually, even without that light on, it's pretty bright in the diningroom at night - we have a nightlight in there - but apparently that wasn't enough light for Dad to remember he was taking care of a nest..)

Live and learn, I guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home